Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Roku Streaming Stick or Chromecast

My parents are sick of paying cable, and Dad now thinks he wants a bunch of jailbroken firesticks. I know nothing about them. Where do I get them? What setup is involved?
    LRRS/CCS EX #47 -RSP Racing / Tony's Track Days / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Dyno Solutions / Sport Bike Track Gear / Knox / Brunetto T-Shirts / 434 Racer Parts / GMD CompuTrack

2012 LRRS Champion, AM Thunderbike
    2018 LRRS Double Backup Champions, GTL and ULSB

RIP Reed 8/16/84 - 3/23/08
    RIP Vaughan 11/18/66 - 9/19/10

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    My parents are sick of paying cable, and Dad now thinks he wants a bunch of jailbroken firesticks. I know nothing about them. Where do I get them? What setup is involved?
    I have the best answer to this .

Call me anytime you are sitting at a computer.....

The rules I have to abide by prevents me from posting on a public forum.

This goes to anyone else here also that want to kill their cable bill.
    Last edited by TIMMYDUCK; 04-08-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    Noxen you may be gone but you will never not be forgotten. Godspeed to you always............

Raybusa0818 you may be gone also, but you will never be forgotten. Godspeed to you always.................

Matt V ..........Godspeed to you , I know...

I would go with a Roku or apple tv for someone older. Kodi is pretty easy to run and install for a younger person but it's got a lot of operations and settings for an older person to replace cable TV with it.

In my experience (have had Apple TV 2 & 3, Roku stick & 3, and Amazon Fire TV Stick and base), I prefer the devices that are hardwired to the router. Unless you have the best wifi in the world, you will experience some sort of buffering with devices that use wifi, even with really fast internet (I am running Xfinity Blast service at 250+Mbps down wired and 150+Mbps down wifi).

My current devices are both Amazon Fire TV devices (not the sticks). The one in my living room is hardwired to the Xfinity router. The other is in my bedroom and hardwired into a range extender and using the 5GHz wifi. I have also set the 5GHz to only be used by the FireTV. The rest of the devices that connect to my wifi all use the 2.4GHz.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I 2nd a hard wired connection. Ran it for my Roku connection and there is zero lag or loading time for anything. Totally worth the small investment to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    sick of paying cable,
    I hear that, canceled cable last month after my bill jumped by 45%. I've got a 60mb download cable service and Directv Now running on a wired Roku, works really well, minimal to no buffering. Once issue, had a few occasions where certain channels are lost for minutes to hours due to Directv issues.

One thing to consider, depending on if your parents are retired / home all day, streaming is approx. 3mb per hour so take that into account when signing up for cable service, some are truly unlimited, some have caps on the download with BIG charges for overage.

Quote Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
    Just an FYI - if you're using torrents or kodi (without a vpn) for HBO shows, HBO is going after people that are doing illegal downloads/streaming. The $10 a month is def worth it. Lots of good shows past and present.
    FYI if you have AT&T and one of the new unlimited plans you can get HBO or Starz or other options for free.

If you absolutely need cable/streaming combining AT&T and Directv/DTV NOW can make it very cheap for both.