Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheapest place to buy car brakes (subaru)?

Not sure what year and model you have but I bought a set of OEM rear pads for my 2007 legacy gt that I have yet to mount. When I need to do the brakes I'm going to go aftermarket so if they work for you you're welcome to them.

I didn't use chris's guy, but his pricing was fair
    LRRS/CCS EX #47 -RSP Racing / Tony's Track Days / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Dyno Solutions / Sport Bike Track Gear / Knox / Brunetto T-Shirts / 434 Racer Parts / GMD CompuTrack

2012 LRRS Champion, AM Thunderbike
    2018 LRRS Double Backup Champions, GTL and ULSB

RIP Reed 8/16/84 - 3/23/08
    RIP Vaughan 11/18/66 - 9/19/10

It's a 2011 outback so the next gen from your legacy. Dunno if they changed the calipers or not between generations. Thanks for the offer though.

If Im going the cheap route its autozone or advance auto for me. Many times on retailmenot.com there are coupons and the flyers in the mail will also have them too for things like $10 of $50 etc. Also, if you order online there are sometimes discounts for just online ordering too so keep your eye out for that. Case in point, autozone online if you enter Summer15 at checkout its 15% OFF $100 or more

Just a couple thoughts based on what I have read in the past...

You likely don't get your rotors hot enough to warp (well maybe if you did track days). The pad material transfers to the rotor and causes the pulsation. This is usually caused by overworking the brakes pad based on the material in the pad. There are different quality pads and to avoid a repeat of the transferring of material (which really can't be fully removed, even with machining) you might want to get a better pad, at least for the front brakes.

The other thing is that the transferring happens when you stop the car and keep your foot on the brake. If you stop hard and can release the brakes (may be hard to do if you are at a light) you can avoid the transfer of material and the subsequent feeling of pulsating brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by prev1 View Post
    Just a couple thoughts based on what I have read in the past...

You likely don't get your rotors hot enough to warp (well maybe if you did track days). The pad material transfers to the rotor and causes the pulsation. This is usually caused by overworking the brakes pad based on the material in the pad. There are different quality pads and to avoid a repeat of the transferring of material (which really can't be fully removed, even with machining) you might want to get a better pad, at least for the front brakes.

The other thing is that the transferring happens when you stop the car and keep your foot on the brake. If you stop hard and can release the brakes (may be hard to do if you are at a light) you can avoid the transfer of material and the subsequent feeling of pulsating brakes.
    Rotors routinely warp as a result of improper lug nut torque. While I don't discount the possibility of pad material deposits I'm more inclined to believe that excessive towing near or in excess of the car's rated towing capacity since the day I got the car along with multiple new sets of tires (either the car itself or the mt roads, or a combination of both eats tires on this thing) installed by a shop that uses "torque bars" to tighten the nuts down has resulted in warped rotors.

In any case, Steve is setting me up at a price close enough to what I can get online that I'm gonna support a buddy and a local shop. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Replace pins and rubber boots too
    USA doom sealed Dec. 2, 1970