Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $375 '96 Honda CR250 Hopefully not a terrible mistake thread.

i'm sure you're anxious to start it but if it's really been sitting around that long...

drain the fuel, swish some fresh premixed fuel around in the tank and dump, remove carb and clean it well, remove air filter and clean it well, clean the entire airbox / air boot, and of course drop the trans oil and fill with fresh.

if one of those simple items is gummed up, not filled up, stuffed with dirt or something else, you will start adding $$$ to your $375 quickly (which you're going to anyway, it's a dirt bike)

EDIT:

oh, and grab a new plug (or 2).
    Last edited by typeone; 08-05-2014 at 12:24 PM.

edit - videotape yourself doing a wheelie over Mo's body, please.

B8ES will work fine for a plug.
    Do yourserf a flavor and wear the ruggedest boots you have to kick it over.. Your arch will thank you later..

As stated above.. take extra care cleaning the pilot jet.. or it will start hard as shit leading to a really sore ass foot.
    ///////////////////////
    "That which you manifest is before you"
    Rada

LRRS/CCS Expert Retired #820 / RSP Racing / Woodcraft / MTAG Pirelli / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days / Sport Bike Track Gear / 434racer / Brunetto T-Shirts / Knox / GMD Computrack /

2012 LRRS Rookie of the Year EX 820 Tony's Track Days Facebook Group Instructor #8

Fun bike, last year of the steel chassis, some guys still swear by them. Never buy a 97 as they are an oddball year and can be a pain to source used (cheap cuz u crashed and need stuff now!) parts.

Check all the bearings as they are probably all messed up (wheels, steering stem, swingarm, shock linkage etc).

Easy starting routine; turn gas on, choke on, lean bike over until gas drips out the overflow, stand bike back up, slowly kick over once or twice, stop kick lever at the hard spot (that's TDC), let the kick lever bounce back up all the way and give it a sharp fast kick while also just blipping the throttle. Most bikes will fire up the first or second sharp kick. After 10-30 seconds turn off the choke, rev it another minute or so and then go hurt something

An update and some pics. So I Met with a guy who knew the kid who put this bike together originally. He said this bike has a ton of stuff done to it. He didn't remember what but it was def jetted and built for speed. I'm finding more aftermarket stuff. He said he also flipped the bike back in the day when they would go to southwick or something. He also said over and over you need to seriously be careful that bike is dangerous... Why do I feel like I'm leading into a plot of Christine?

So I got home started removing mixed nuts and bolts even some brass ones which were interesting. Took the tank off drained the gas which was black not sure if that's how dark premix is. Got familiar with the engine set up which seems super simple. The air filter wasn't too dirty at least not what I was expecting. Took the plug out it was dark black def fouled frame what I've seen.

This weekend I'll take the carb off and have a look. It's got a Kerker carb not sure if that came stock or not.

I washed it down cleaning a lot of the grit away. Right now chain air filter plugs gas and kill switch are the only things I think I need. One thing I'm looking into is the clutch which feels like it's engaging and disengaging especially after I adjusted it. But will still not roll the rear wheel when I pull it in in gear. Maybe it's just too light maybe I gotta dive into it further..

Here are some pics:
    Of course I tried to start it anyway and the SOB got me!

And one wet dog...

Nice kicker bite... Ouch

Keihin PJ carb If i am seeing it right. Probably a 38mm. While you are cleaning it make sure that the vent tubes are clear of obstructions.

I hope hope hope there was a foam element in that air box... If not get a no toil pre-oiiled filter.. Easy..

Once you get it fired up and ready to rip.. You need to know that dirt tires use way less air pressure than street tires. Set them at 13-14 front and rear.

Spin that kill switch around so you can use your left thumb to operate it.

Braaap... Have fun!!
    ///////////////////////
    Rada

LRRS/CCS Expert Retired #820 / RSP Racing / Woodcraft / MTAG Pirelli / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days / Sport Bike Track Gear / 434racer / Brunetto T-Shirts / Knox / GMD Computrack /

2012 LRRS Rookie of the Year EX 820 Tony's Track Days Facebook Group Instructor #8

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Come on..It's just a 250.... Not likes it a 1987 CR500...
    That CR250 will be a nice bike for all around ripping..
    So this isn't a good bike for me to start on???
    http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/4603464344.html

Yeah.. I would maybe pass on that one Rich... Lol

Go with this one
    http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/4605297806.html
    Last edited by Rada; 08-05-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    ///////////////////////
    Rada

Quote Originally Posted by Beinggodisgreat View Post
    An update and some pics. So I Met with a guy who knew the kid who put this bike together originally. He said this bike has a ton of stuff done to it. He didn't remember what but it was def jetted and built for speed.
    dirt bikes are funny like that... he basically means it has an aftermarket pipe and seat cover

at 18 years old, it needs everything, but that's OK. 2-strokes are dead simple machines. make sure it has clean fuel (get a fuel filter), clean air (agree w/Rada, hope it wasn't run like that), clean PV system, lubed controls and you're good to go. for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Yeah.. I would maybe pass on that one Rich... Lol

Go with this one
    http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/4605297806.html
    LMFAO!!!! I can't handle that shit, and you know this man!