Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 First Time Track Riders

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    thats for sure, I felt bad for the person behind me the next session for the first lap when my suit got blown out... I was dirty as hell from that lol
    same here, I remember my bike being pretty filthy too. I guess that's similar to taking a swim in the T6 gravel trap at Loudon. You're finding pebbles in all sorts of places after that.

To stay somewhat on topic here: Gabe, and other first timers, the takeaway form this conversation is that you can still have fun at a track day even with a mishap or two. Hopefully you don't tip over, but if you do and its not serious, don't let it get in your head. Just get back out there and have a blast.
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza

2003 Honda CBR600RR
    2009 Kawasaki ER6N
    2007 Kawasaki EX650

And that people will go out of their way to try and help ya get back out there... Someone let me borrow their gloves, someone had a spare sheild I could use for my helmet because miles was out of the one I needed, and the guy from the leather place was there and sewed up the busted seam on my leathers (despite chastising me for not buying his stuff haha)

I think I only missed one session and there was pretty much nothing wrong with the bike at all. Scuffed up the fairing and exhaust...
    Matt V. 9/19/10

LOL at the term "tip over"

+1 to the suggestion to promise to enjoy it (ride at all?) if it rains.
    I'm not even joking that since getting dedicated rain tires on rims, I LOVE it when it rains at a track day. Way more laps and just as fun. My last trackday of last season, it was raining pretty seriously at NYST so they just ran open track with no divided groups. Not too many people besides Carsick and me were taking advantage...I was having so much fun and extended my session so long that I ran the bike out of gas right before wheelie hill...and that was after checking my fuel level before the session! I
    had plenty for a normal 20 minute session, but 45+ minutes, not so much.

It will be my "first time" at Palmer this year!
    RIP Reed St. Pierre (Noxen) 3/23/08 - You rocked!

Advanced Traction
    860-986-3469

Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/AdvancedTraction

OHLINS : K-TECH : ELKA : NITRON : TCX : WOODCRAFT

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    I'll probably try and get in for that day or weekend. Track days are more fun when you have some peeps there ya know
    The May 3rd weekend? I plan on doing both days I think because I have some saved up PTO. Figured I don't ever take vacation days anyways, might as well use it for some back-to-back track weekends now that TTDs are on Sundays/Mondays rather than Sat/Sun.

As far as weather is concerned I'm not THAT concerned about it...Johnny and Kane were belly aching pretty hard the one day I came to Thompson and it was raining but I think that was just because it was too wet for the slicks they had on and not wet enough for rains.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
    Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3

Even if you only have one set of DOT race tires and it rains, just do it! Slicks maybe a different story, I'm not sure about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Even if you only have one set of DOT race tires and it rains, just do it! Slicks maybe a different story, I'm not sure about that one.
    I have S20 EVOs on order now. Whether or not I'll be able to use them is a matter of if I can pull off this 17" wheel swap or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
    Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    One of the best track days I ever had was the first season of TTD @ NYST, I had DOT PPs and spent over an hour in the down pouring rain by myself. It was amazing!

Now if only I could learn to race in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    One of the best track days I ever had was the first season of TTD @ NYST, I had DOT PPs and spent over an hour in the down pouring rain by myself. It was amazing!

Now if only I could learn to race in the rain
    I was so pissed that day. My back went out bad. Could barely stand. Wanted to ride in the rain.so bad!

I remember that day. I was too worried about my $50 CL tent being flooded with everything inside. If I had known beforehand that everything would be dry I would of gone out there too.

That season (2013) was by far the best year of motorcycling for me. 13 trackdays, 7k street miles, VT trip, Tour of the lakes in NY. Playing cat and mouse with Kyle, Darek, and Matt(s) at NYST was the best.
    Team Brown - LRRS #521