Thread: Thompson CCW line

Default Thompson CCW line

For anyone new to the CCW direction, this vid gives a good general line, and also shows some key passing zones.

This is more for the lower groups. Yes, I know the faster groups will be a little different so let's not clutter people's minds.

For anyone that hasn't ridden the CCW way yet, use this as a guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=XzuW65RLDiU
    Tony
    Trackdays in New England

Pirelli Track Tires!

For the bridge turn (5), what are folks using for a turn-in reference marker? That turn eluded me all day last time out.

In the vid it looks like the end of the short stretch of curbing on the left might be a good place to start.
    Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.

Yeah, I like to enter about 10 feet off the entry curb and let it drift out a bit. Do not do a wide, late entry as it puts you right at the barriers... And no runoff.

With my line I am carrying the speed in and decelerating.. Trailbraking... Until mid bridge. I then turn a bit harder as I am at the slowest part, and accelerate and let the bike drift.

Notice how easily I can pass there... Even while two up.
    Tony
    Trackdays in New England

Pirelli Track Tires!

What's important to realize is that the track really flows in this direction... if you do it right! And there are some nice passing zones that don't require much effort.

Also, pay close attention to the last corner before getting onto the straight also. Notice how my bike is pointing down the straight and not at the wall on the right? The key here is to carry your speed into the last turns... then scrub off your speed and when you are going your slowest... turn the bike firmly and get it pointed down track. Once it is turned, you can then apply throttle and let it drift out toward the right as you enter the straight.

I can't wait to ride this config again!
    Tony
    Trackdays in New England

Pirelli Track Tires!

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    Yeah, I like to enter about 10 feet off the entry curb
    "Entry curb" meaning that short strip of curbing on the left of the track? Or are you talking about the curbing at the first apex?

"10 feet off" meaning 10 feet from the edge of the road? Looks like you're closer than that, both at the curbing on the left and at the apex curbing.... Or do you mean 10 feet before/after the start/end of the curbing?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    "Entry curb" meaning that short strip of curbing on the left of the track? Or are you talking about the curbing at the first apex?

"10 feet off" meaning 10 feet from the edge of the road? Looks like you're closer than that, both at the curbing on the left and at the apex curbing.... Or do you mean 10 feet before/after the start/end of the curbing?

Thanks!
    Tony is talking about the curbing on the right, near the first apex (of the double-apex corner).

Correct, curbing on right. I usually go between 0 and 10 feet of that... Depending on traffic. If not passing, or setting something up... Then about 5 feet away.

Key point for safety is to be within ten feet of it... Not way out on the left edge of track.
    Tony
    Trackdays in New England

Pirelli Track Tires!

FWIW, I don't use the left piece of curbing as a reference. I prefer my attention to be more on the right half of track.

This is not a corner to be too aggressive in either. Enter safely and get through it with lots of reserve.
    Tony
    Trackdays in New England

Pirelli Track Tires!

OK thanks!