Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap "B" bike.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Is tire selection that critical on a 250? It looks like people go pretty low ball on tires and have good results. Don't get me wrong, I would get the best I can but does it really make a difference on such a low powered bike?
    From a racing/trackday perspective, corner speed is essential to getting around quickly on a low horsepower bike, more so even than a higher HP bike. This makes suspension and tire grip just as critical.

Is tire selection that critical on a 250? It looks like people go pretty low ball on tires and have good results. Don't get me wrong, I would get the best I can but does it really make a difference on such a low powered bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    From a racing/trackday perspective, corner speed is essential to getting around quickly on a low horsepower bike, more so even than a higher HP bike. This makes suspension and tire grip just as critical.
    This is exactly why I went the extra mile doing a rear wheel swap on my FZR. There was practically no rubber available for the stock size and I'm not doing a track day on Shinkos (although most on here are probably going to say they could lap me on a scooter with bias plys )

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
    Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3

That would probably work. I can't log in however. When was it posted? If its around when I come back to the states I may pick it up. My wife learned to ride on an ex500 so she may be receptive to it. She did comment on how fast it was at the time, that's why she ended up on a 400.
    That was last posted on Sept 20.
    But I've seen a few on there in the last year or two. If you posted a "WTB EX500 track bike" on ex-500.com and WERA, you might find a couple.

Supermoto.

Couple years ago I broke my only street registerable bike. She was down for a week in the middle of summer. Just so happens that week was 110% perfect riding weather all week. I spent all week dying to ride. It killed me. That and a few other things conspired to coax me into buying a well used DRZ400 dual sport. Shortly thereafter I bought a sumo wheelset for it. Now she's my round town beater, my sunday afternoon playbike, my dirt road ripper, and back-up for track days. Especially if there is rain. But truth told, I almost like riding it at track days more than I do my SV650 racebike. The only thing it isn't is a competitive racebike. Unspeakable fun at track days.

So yeah, sumo. DRZ400-SM, maybe WR250X. Maybe something else converted.

2012 Honda CBR250R....as close to new as is actually possible. As in far less than 1000 miles. Make me a decent offer. Comes with a 2 Bros slip on and a solo cowl. As well as the stock pieces. Bought it for my wife and then she rode it in the parking lot a few times and that was it.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )

I think I saw your for sale sign post awhile back and its what got me into thinking about a cbr. They can be had for cheaper than an equvilant year ninja which is good I guess. It looks very hard to make them into a good track bike in my research. Probably perfect for wife though. Easy to ride and certainly not powerful.

I've started looking for a cheap pre gen ninja 250. It looks to be the best bet for a cheap basher bike. Not much difference between an old 250 and the newer style and what is different can be swapped over fairly easily like the bigger rims. I can't justify the price difference between the two to get a newer one. Older ones go for about 1200 and newer ones start at about 2000 with crash damage or a story.
    I will drop about 500 into what ever I get to get it in track ready shape. The suspension will take a good chunk of that if not all. Any extras will be used for cheap items I think will help me and possibly spares.

I sent that guy with the race EX500 a PM asking if he still had it.
    This looks like a good candidate too- http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mpo/5268985466.html

I tried contacting him but he hasn't responded.

So I'm tossing around the idea of a new ninja 300. I can get a leftover for just shy of $4000. I think the bump in displacement would be a better choice for me. My home track is Palmer and I'm a little worried about the climbing power of the old 250 motor.