Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Spring 2017 Garage Day Hamden, CT

Either way I'm in for beer drinking, shit talking, and pointing. How well does your shitter flush?

Perhaps the thread title should be updated to "Come work on my bike with payment of a couple craft beers".

You can do what you want Joe but just be honest about it. If you want a new bike get one, if you think there is exidence that doing valves now is unjustified then don't do it but the rationale youre coming up with doesn't hold water.

I just bought a fifty year old car for more money then I've ever spent on anything not a house or college. I can't justify it other than to say it's my money and I wanted it so tell me to pound sand and do what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    he's a social liability
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
    Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Lawrence View Post
    Shamu is a different beast all together
    No argument there. I had a VMax for awhile and working on V4 engines blows. The other valve cover is essentially in the middle of the bike which means everything on top of it has to be removed, you have two timing chains, 4 cams, and if you fuck up the math on which shims you need you have to rip the whole thing apart and re-time the engine again. It's really not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
    Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3

Quote Originally Posted by downshift View Post
    No argument there. I had a VMax for awhile and working on V4 engines blows. The other valve cover is essentially in the middle of the bike which means everything on top of it has to be removed, you have two timing chains, 4 cams, and if you fuck up the math on which shims you need you have to rip the whole thing apart and re-time the engine again. It's really not fun.
    But if everything is in spec, you don't need to mess with the timing and can ride for another 20k with some peace of mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
    Pussy. It's so much better than lime.:

Quote Originally Posted by db79 View Post
    Either way I'm in for beer drinking, shit talking, and pointing. How well does your squatty potty flush?

Perhaps the thread title should be updated to "Valve checks are expensive, so unless one of you wants to do it for a couple beers, I'm gonna say fuck it".
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by mattr302 View Post
    Fixed

Joe- maybe it's not a finish in one sitting kinda deal, your list of stuff is very long for a day or even a weekend.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.p...ve-inspection/

This guy did it in a few hours, just takes some patience and don't rush it. You might get lucky and they are all in spec.

An alternate option, take it apart to the point the valve covers are visible and trailer it to the dealer ready to check valves. I did this once, the first time I ever had valves done on a bike and the last time I paid someone to do it.. cost me $150 to inspect and replace spark plugs while they were at it, maybe the gasket too but that was 13 years ago. Saves you from screwing with the cams, and you just have to put it back together afterwards. Saves a lot on labor you could do yourself.

R.I.P Matt V - 9/19/10

R.I.P. Reed - 3/23/08