Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Icon Helmets

Never had an Icon, but I have to agree with you on the Suomy front. I had an Apex I picked up on closeout from CG and that helmet was so light and it felt like there was nothing on your head. It was a little loud though.

If you're looking for light, check out the HJC RPHA 11. They are pretty damn light and fit similar to the Suomy I had.

I had an icon as my first helmet back on 05/06. It was very heavy and the liner was falling apart a few months after I got it. But as I said it was a long time ago. I'm sure that they have improved
    LRRS# 772 NETRA#3772
    Boston Tier 1 Racing
    Amsoil/DP Brakes / AXO America/Vortex Racing/ Woodcraft/Armour Bodies/Racer Gloves/Hiflofiltro oil filters

I had a couple of Icons years ago. They were very heavy, though I've heard they've gotten a bit better. Other than that, I didn't have any complaints.

I had a Suomy for a little while. Super light, but noisy, and the wrong shape for my head.

I told myself I was going to get an internal sun visor on my next helmet as I wear glasses all the time. I ended up getting a Bell with the transitions shield. I love it! Would totally buy another one when the time comes. No complaints about the helmet, fit or noise or anything, and I had an Arai before that. Loved it, but couldn't justify the cost over the Bell, even adding on the $100 for the shield.
    If these aren't the best times of your life (yet), you're doing something wrong.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Lawrence View Post
    Get a helmet with an intergrated sliding sun visor. Thank me later.
    Eh, mixed thoughts on that. I usually keep a cheapo $5 pair on sunglasses in my helmet or topcase to use while riding, since that way when I get to my destination, I have a pair of sun glasses to wear. Plus the drop down visors that come with helmets are usually too lightly tinted to be very effective.

Maybe (probably) I haven't used any helmets light enough, or maybe I have a really jacked neck, but out of all the helmets I've tried on, I haven't really noticed a significant difference in weight. My no-frills $60 Scorpion 400 track helmet seems to fit my head a lot better than my $500 Shoei GTair though - but the Shoei was my first helmet where I actually noticed a difference if the vents were open or closed though.

The Qwest is a solid basic helmet, but it's more of a rounder shape - the one in the OP was a long oval, so it might not be a good fit for Darek.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbandit View Post
    Anyone have any personal experience with the newer Icon stuff? I'm looking at https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/icon-airframe-pro-helmet
    From a headshape perspective:

I've tried on the Airframe pro. It felt light and fit slightly tighter and narrower than the Shoei's RF1200 that fit my headshape fine. It has a customization inner liner to get a better fit. Ear pockets were very small so adding adding intercom speakers might be a hassle. I see a lot of reviews say it's light but very loud.

Bells models don't fit me at all so that leads me to believe their headshape is a lot different than the pro and Shoei's.

I had an icon that I got from a member years ago, heavy, hot and the bottom of it fell of during a ride and ended up around my neck like a necklace. I've heard they're stuff is better now. I've been eyeing modular helmets after a conversation with Ching last season regarding the benefits of them for street riding.

So far this one has got my attention, the reviews look good anyway.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...-at950-review/

I don't worry about weight......couple weeks into the season and my neck muscles adjust.....

Quote Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
    everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Lawrence View Post
    Get a helmet with an intergrated sliding sun visor. Thank me later.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 10_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/602.4.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0 Mobile/14D27 Safari/602.1
    I'm not crazy about the drop down shields. In the helmet's ive tried on they didn't seem to come down quite far enough and left an awkward light spot at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by mattr302 View Post
    Plus the drop down visors that come with helmets are usually too lightly tinted to be very effective.

Maybe (probably) I haven't used any helmets light enough, or maybe I have a really jacked neck,

The Qwest is a solid basic helmet, but it's more of a rounder shape - the one in the OP was a long oval, so it might not be a good fit for Darek.
    If you find a couple helmets with a drastic enough difference in weight it becomes pretty evident. I'm probably nit picking so i'm open to other stuff.
    -Darek

What other helmets and models have you tried on that worked well for you? Also, what's your budget?
    Team Brown - LRRS #521

Have you looked into a shark? I really really like mine. It got me away from decades of shoei and arai. Fairly light and if you get the vision r one you get a huge range of view.

Love the intergrated visor too.

Quote Originally Posted by makct04 View Post
    What other helmets and models have you tried on that worked well for you? Also, what's your budget?
    Sorry Mo, meant to respond to you earlier. I'm pretty committed to buying through cycle gear. Only because I have $120 towards a purchase there.
    I haven't really tried on much that felt great. The last helmet that I remember fitting real well was the arai corsair v. Too bad it's like $700. I'm looking at more like $3-400

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Have you looked into a shark? I really really like mine. It got me away from decades of shoei and arai. Fairly light and if you get the vision r one you get a huge range of view.

Love the intergrated visor too.
    Actually I used to have a Shark I really liked. Haven't been able to find any to try on locally though. Vision R def seems interesting. So does the one Ian posted.
    -Darek