Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to Upgrade Tires?

Default Time to Upgrade Tires?

Title says it all. When do you know it's time to take the next step up in tires? Currently running Bridgestone S20 EVOs.

My latest experience so far has been:
    -> Great tread wear both front and rear
    -> No butt-clenching slides
    -> Haven't broken the rear free (don't know if this bike can?)

I don't have anything against the tires as of today. They're marketed as 80% street/20% track duty (whatever that actually means). I know that as I get faster I'm going to be demanding more from tires. However, in the back of my head I've been thinking that there have been a riders/racers that have gone a lot faster on me on much worse tires.

The main issue I have with going to a more track/race oriented compound is that the price goes up by about 2 fold. Right now I get S20s for under $200 a set but the RS10 (the next step up) would be nearly $400 a set and I assume will wear much quicker.

Just looking for thoughts/opinions. Obviously, you can always go the route of "get the best you can afford" but sticky tires and brilliant suspension cover up poor technique and my mantra with this bike has always been "it needs to be the rider, not the machine".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
    Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3

There's always takeoffs if you're open to that. Plenty of life left in the tires that fast guys can't use anymore, but you (and I) can use for multiple track days at a very discounted price.
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza

2003 Honda CBR600RR
    2009 Kawasaki ER6N
    2007 Kawasaki EX650

takeoffs are a good way to try out more track oriented tires without killing the wallet.

There are a few rebates going on right now IIRC. Don't know about sizes, cutoff dates, etc. but worth thinking about. I believe there's good deals to be had on Dunlop Q3s, which a good friend of mine (instructor at Mid-O) uses.

Plus the currently running Pirelli thing.

I've done the takeoff thing and it is a good option and very affordable. The only real drawback is that you need to be on the lookout constantly, because while they do have good life left it's nowhere near as much as a new set of tires. So you'll be changing more often. Takeoffs are what got me into slicks in the first place.... and then because I had slicks I had to start looking for rains... and then I discovered how awesome rains are.... and... well, you know.
    Last edited by adouglas; 05-01-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.

Do many racers run a 140 or 150 rear with a 110 front? I haven't seen hardly any take-offs posted in those sizes. That's why I think I'm sorta stuck buying new tires

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
    Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    I've done the takeoff thing and it is a good option and very affordable. The only real drawback is that you need to be on the lookout constantly, because while they do have good life left it's nowhere near as much as a new set of tires. So you'll be changing more often.
    This is somewhat misleading. Yes the tires are used and therefore don't have as much life as new. BUT, many people have made it through most of, if not the whole of, a track season on a single set of takeoffs. What an expert racer leaves behind on a set of takeoffs can be quite a lot for someone riding at a trackday pace. While you will be changing tires "more often" takeoffs can be had for so little money that you are likely to still end up ahead compared to buying new. Regardless of that, it's still a cheap way to try out a new tire without committing to an expensive set you may not like.

Quote Originally Posted by downshift View Post
    Do many racers run a 140 or 150 rear with a 110 front? I haven't seen hardly any take-offs posted in those sizes. That's why I think I'm sorta stuck buying new tires
    Maybe talk to the ultra light guys?

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post

Maybe talk to the ultra light guys?
    With all the KTM 390's I saw this weekend (and all the other 300's out there) there's gotta be some floating around, or will be soon.
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza

2003 Honda CBR600RR
    2009 Kawasaki ER6N
    2007 Kawasaki EX650

Quote Originally Posted by downshift View Post
    Do many racers run a 140 or 150 rear with a 110 front? (
    As a Pirelli distributor, I say buy a new set and be done!

Seriously, in the sizes you are looking for, those riders generally use up the tires pretty good before switching. The bigger bike riders are used to changing tires and some do leave a lot of life.

My other reason for suggesting a new set is so you have a benchmark to see what a perfect set feels like... and as it wears out, you will have a guage. Then, if you decide to start buying takeoffs, you will know what you are getting.

Also, my guess is you will last a whole season - or more - on a set of brand new tires. That's pretty economical and ends up being a very small part of your trackday budget.

We have the exact sizes for your bike and the $40 rebate is going on... seems like a good time to buy.
    Tony
    Trackdays in New England

Pirelli Track Tires!

quit being a cheap ass and buy a real new set.

Personaly I hate doing stuff more time than I have to. I would be okay with a set of take offs if it were I brought a last minute track day and needed something to get me through the day. But your doing way more track time than me. and unless your swapping the tires yourself it would be a pain in the dick to be going around all the time taking the tires off and getting someone to mount and balance them.

this is for the Yamaha, which doesn't see street use at all correct?

you should be able to buy a new set and get several track days out of it. if not a whole season of riding, assuming you did one or two days a month. plus its not like its a 200 hp liter bike that's eats tires
    Last edited by Joey Lawrence; 05-01-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    2nd owner of theHawhandcordone

WHOA

#dirtyprince

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    While you will be changing tires "more often" takeoffs can be had for so little money that you are likely to still end up ahead compared to buying new.
    Absolutely true. Takeoffs are typically about 1/3 the cost of a new set, or less.
    Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.