Thread: Vintage Motorcycle Classic 2017 - Track Day

Default Vintage Motorcycle Classic 2017 - Track Day

A guy at Thompson this last weekend reminded me about the Vintage Motorcycle Classic this year. I missed it last year for obvious reasons but just signed up for this year.

Only $100 for 2 hours worth of on-track time (garage space included!)! The "parade" laps are for vintage bikes only (forgot what the cutoff is) but from 9am on it's open sessions (three skill groups). It says they're letting beginners on track with just helmet, gloves, and long pants so if you have a spouse/girlfriend that wanted to try a track day but was put off by cost and/or gear investment this might be a great opportunity.

Not sure how they got the cost so far down but I'm not arguing. The two things I love most, track days and vintage bikes

http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/even...le-springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
    Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3

Didn't get to catch up with you this weekend, but so glad to see you out there and keeping at this thing!

This sounds like a good deal if you have an older ride.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaPod View Post
    This sounds like a good deal if you have an older ride.
    From what I'm told, the track day is for any year of bike

If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.

A friend was trying to talk me into this. While my sumo IS a 1992 I don't think it's what they're expecting for 'vintage' bikes. (And I've just got too much going on otherwise but I like my silly explanation better.)
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    A friend was trying to talk me into this. While my sumo IS a 1992 I don't think it's what they're expecting for 'vintage' bikes. (And I've just got too much going on otherwise but I like my silly explanation better.)
    You'd be surprised. There's a '87 TZR 250, '89 FZR400, and a couple other late eighties/early 90's yammys that will be there. I emailed them last year and they said they'd be very happy to have my '94 FZR there.

Edit: the 'vintage' date keeps moving up it seems. In fact, a large portion of Born members probably qualify as vintage at this point
    Last edited by downshift; 06-11-2017 at 06:57 AM.

im vintage
    Iv'e Out lived my expiration date...........

Just wanted to report back on this. There were a total of 21 people split into 3 groups (only 7 intermediate and 5 in expert) . Track was super empty pretty much all day which was fantastic. I rode with the expert group (since intermediate was a mix of Tony's yellow-group riders and never-rode-Thompson before guys) which was a fantastic experience getting to follow some LRRS racers for a bit (#327 was one of them, Anthony was his name I believe). There was quite a smattering of bikes. Everything from an MV GP500 to a top middle-weight AM LRRS bike; for those of you that were worrying about it being a vintage-only day. Lots of USCRA guys there too.

Despite no control riders or instructors it went fairly well. A little disorganized in general but it was supervised where it was important (pit out and pit in). The expert group riders took over the "follow the leader" laps for the beginner group and provided some coaching for the newer guys. I feel like if there were more people it might have gotten crazy but no hiccups or crashes (I believe). For $100 we rode 6, 20-minute sessions which would have been 7 if not for the rain. Overall, fantastic day. Weather was beautiful and it was a super mature and relaxed atmosphere.

Only if every track day were this affordable! 10/10 will do again next year!