Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding after knee replacement?

Default Riding after knee replacement?

A decade ago a doc told me that sooner or later I was going to need a knee replacement. The way things are going lately, I'm starting to think he was right.

Naturally I'm thinking of what it will mean to my riding.... especially on the track, what with folding your leg up, dragging knee and all.

Has anyone had the procedure done? Insight?
    Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.

Modern day knee replacements will have you up and going better than new in no time. do the PT. don't treat it like an old decrepit person who uses a surgery as an excuse to not walk or do anything. THAT is what causes change of life after stuff like this.

My dad rode his 1098 for years with a fake hip, done twice, and a knee thats been gone through 6 times and is not yet fake.

I don’t ride on my knees so I’m not sure what you should expect. Blow jobs will be tough so I suggest only giving those on really special occasions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    he's a social liability
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
    Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja fruit View Post
    I donít ride on my knees so Iím not sure what you should expect. Blow jobs will be tough so I suggest only giving those on really special occasions.
    -Darek

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had my knee cut open ~4-5 times now to install, revise, and then remove the tibial nail that kept the two halves of my leg together and track riding has not been an issue.

If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
    Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3

I've had my leg (the other one) open too.. ACL repair in the days before arthroscopic surgery. Got a dead-sexy 10" scar up my right thigh and a smaller one on the front of the knee for the staple.

It's not cutting the leg open that I'm worried about. It's strength and range of motion once the joint gets replaced. My MIL had her hip replaced and I recall that her range of motion was impacted.

Asking here and over on NESR, I've gotten way more positive feedback than negative. Greatly encouraging.

Still moving around, but I haven't been able to run more than a few steps in a long time and the joint really does feel unstable on occasion. Makes a terrific grinding noise too, and when I kick that leg it clicks.
    Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.

You can also try the on your back with your head hanging over the edge of the mattress blowjob if you find the pressure on your knees is to great. This is an expert level move though that requires you to really control your gag reflex so practice first.
    he's a social liability
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
    Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja fruit View Post
    You can also try the on your back with your head hanging over the edge of the mattress blowjob if you find the pressure on your knees is to great. This is an expert level move though that requires you to really control your gag reflex so practice first.
    Team Brown - LRRS #521

I would anticipate good result if you do all your PT and then some kind of exercise and stretching.

My brother ignored it and eventually has bone on bone but the nerves are dead so no problem.

I know there is a new procedure where they just replace cartilage with plastic pucks countersunk into bone ends... sounds better to me then standard
    USA doom sealed Dec. 2, 1970

I’m an athletic trainer who worked in a P.T. clinic for 6 years and spent the last 19 years in athletics. I’m speaking with our doctors periodically about this as I need a total knee replacement asap.

With a total knee replacement you will lose range of motion. Normally you get back about 110 degrees of flexion. Thats about 6” from heel to butt depending. I’ve been tracking my range and I need a smaller gap in order to feel good on the bike racing. Good thing for me it’s my right knee and Loudon being a left turn dominate track I can get by.

I’m starting my second course of three injections of synvisc for this year. It got me through last race season.
    2004 SV650
    2004 TT-R125LE
    LRRS/CCS #246 Woodcraft / Armour Bodies/ Northeast Performance Cycle / Central Mass Powersports