Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subaru Timing Belt assistance

Default Subaru Timing Belt assistance

Anyone here done a timing belt service on a 2012 2.5l? this one is specifically an Outback.

I'm past the mileage (115k) and getting nervous. A full kit with the Aisin waterpump and OEM gasket is only $220. It LOOKS pretty straight forward, but i'd be way more comfortable doing it with someone who has already done it.

I'll provide beer and lunch.
    Last edited by ITGbuDeev; 05-30-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Can't help you but they pop in winter specifically and at high RPM.

Drive like you ride and you'll be fine for the time being. I've seen them go 150k plus. Obviously replace it though.

There is a subaru shop mechanic in branford next to town fair tire. might be worth a call to see what they might charge. Sadly I have no subaru dealer connections.

You know me, all this stuff is well over my comfort range, but if the cost is reasonable to have a someone that knows this well. its well worth the money vs the future headache

edit:
    found ithttp://wrenchriteautomotive.com/
    2nd owner of theHawhandcordone

WHOA

#dirtyprince

I have not done one, but if I am free I would be more than happy to come by and lend an extra set of Hands.
    For the Kids...

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP

I did it on my 11. Can't imagine it's that much different. Took me most of the day doing it solo. Really wasn't that hard, I just took my sweet time getting through it. I don't recall anything about it that was specifically tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    I did it on my 11. Can't imagine it's that much different. Took me most of the day doing it solo. Really wasn't that hard, I just took my sweet time getting through it. I don't recall anything about it that was specifically tricky.
    They are identical. EJ25 2.5l SOHC.

Did you have/ use the special wrench for the big pulley? Or how did you handle that?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Lawrence View Post
    There is a subaru shop mechanic in branford next to town fair tire. might be worth a call to see what they might charge. Sadly I have no subaru dealer connections.

You know me, all this stuff is well over my comfort range, but if the cost is reasonable to have a someone that knows this well. its well worth the money vs the future headache

edit:
    found ithttp://wrenchriteautomotive.com/
    Joel Laub, an LRRS racer, owns that shop.

The Subaru guy in Brantford is Joel laub, lrrs racer. Had him do some work on my truck over the winter. His website is http://wrenchriteautomotive.com

Dagnabit, the expert beat me by two minutes. You still got it mike, just gotta use it!

Yev, me and Steve?? did it on Yev's a few yrs ago. Its really straight forward. I don't recall how you get the crank pulley off, its probably just as anything else and ya need a GOOD 3 jaw puller. Do you wanna do oil seals too or just the belt and pump?