Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Subaru Timing Belt assistance

Quote Originally Posted by chrismpero View Post
    Yev, me and Steve?? did it on Yev's a few yrs ago. Its really straight forward. I don't recall how you get the crank pulley off, its probably just as anything else and ya need a GOOD 3 jaw puller. Do you wanna do oil seals too or just the belt and pump?
    yup, we all did it pretty quick too. I think we spent just as much time putting the damn hitch on that thing.

I can't remember what was done to get the crank pulley off, but that's probably the biggest pita of the whole job. I def wouldn't sweat it, its not a tough job on those.
    Matt V. 9/19/10

Guy next door to me just did one yesterday for a customer... ~$600 including parts

Talked to my buddy at the gym tonight who’s a tech at GMC and is everything subbie. Said it’s what you’ve seen, all straight forward and the plus side with it being a 12 is there is more room to work with. Use a breaker bar and socket for the crank pulley bolt and use a small sledge to give a couple whacke to break it loose. Just be careful and don’t hit anything else lol. That should crack it loose.

yesterday, driving to go get coolant so i could do this, car shit the bed. Flashing CEL, EBrake indicator and Traction control. Add in a misfire for good measure.

got it towed to Dan Perkins who has worked on it before. It has dropped Valve guides in multiple cylinders. fucking awesome.

Nothing to do with the Timing belt. Seeing if SOA will do anything for me. also have a call in to a Subaru specialty shop in Norwalk owned by a friend of a friend, and will Call Joel in Killingworth.

I could buy a fairly nice used civic for the price they quoted me. but i still owe on the car so i'ts not worth walking away from...

Good luck kyle, my sister in law was just over 100k on her 11 forester with the oil
    Issues and she was able to get it covered under warranty for a new lower. If SOA says no see if you can ask to escalate the issue

That sounds awful.

If its a big number you might be able to get a claim via your insurance policy. (wouldn't be my 1st choice but its in an option, i usually see it when someone has rodent damage from them eating wiring harnesses.)

VFR is hanging in the garage if you need it to get back and forth to work.
    2nd owner of theHawhandcordone

WHOA

#dirtyprince

Dads van is available so its not the end of the world, but the $4k price tag for the repairs was not in the budget for this year.

might be easier to find a used motor to put in? It has to come out anyways, this way you can do the timing belt and reseal on the new motor before installing.

LRRS Racer Joel Laub from Wrenchrite in Branford (mentioned above) is coming through for me!

Having the car towed up there today.

How'd this all work out for you? good experience at Wrenchrite? I may have some work I need done on the Suby, so far everything I've heard and my contact with Joel has been positive.