Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help/Tips needed becoming a godparent (catholic)

Default Help/Tips needed becoming a godparent (catholic)

So I’m going to (hopefully) be the godparent for my niece (my bro’s daughter) and they’re doing the baptism at the church he and I both had confirmation and communion at. Our church has always been known to be pretty strict and part of their requirement is that I have to be an active member of the church, I haven’t gone in over 15 years and do not currently go to any other church. It needs to be to the point that they recognize my face as well as I need to meet with the priest to show I uphold the catholic life. Once that is all established I can then and only then get the certificate needed to become a godparent. Are all churches this strict with requirements to be a godparent? Do I have any other options like could I go to a different catholic church and would they provide me a certificate for the active member part? I should be good on the confirmation and communion part since I believe that’s all documented in the diesis or whatever it is they keep records of that. I just don’t have time to now start going every weekend to mass and try to prove myself to someone. Any info is appreciated

Fuck the church.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10

Yup!

Kinda going through this too.
    Neither me or my wife are super religious, but man is this a pita. my mom is giving me grief to get him baptized/confirmed at her church that i sued to go to as a kid, but have only set foot in there for funerals.

the wifes parents are all jehovas, and something else.
    2nd owner of theHawhandcordone

WHOA

#dirtyprince

Yeah, my bro is in that same boat. They have been having to go every Saturday for mass otherwise they would not allow them to do the baptism there. Cant remember if they have to take classes too?

My dad just got ordained as a catholic deacon last weekend, so if you want I can pass along all your churchy questions.

If you could that would be great!!!

The church is a business and if you’re not a regular customer you pay full price plus penalties smh

I am a godparent and I don't remember it being this hard. The ceremony was at a church I don't go to, and we don't go very often, so I'm assuming that church wasn't very strict. Wish I could give some advice on the matter.
    -Darek

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    The church is a business and if you’re not a regular customer you pay full price plus penalties smh
    Business and a joke.

My family is currently dealing with a suicide. The Catholic Church wouldn’t let the funeral happen in the church. One family member stepped up and said “what’s the number?” To which they were told “5k” magically they were then able to accommodate.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10