Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help/Tips needed becoming a godparent (catholic)

You'll need to find some other Catholic church (i.e. priest) to "confirm" that you go there regularly, and write it up for your brother's church to see. It's BS.
    LRRS/CCS EX #47 -RSP Racing / Tony's Track Days / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Dyno Solutions / Sport Bike Track Gear / Knox / Brunetto T-Shirts / 434 Racer Parts / GMD CompuTrack

2012 LRRS Champion, AM Thunderbike
    2018 LRRS Double Backup Champions, GTL and ULSB

RIP Reed 8/16/84 - 3/23/08
    RIP Vaughan 11/18/66 - 9/19/10

Yup and the hard part is to find that other priest :-( I looked at some local churches online and all of them you have to register and some of them wont give you a certificate unless you have been a member for more than 3 months. At this point I don't know what to tell my bro, I would feel bad saying I cant be a godparent but on the other end of it I also don't want to be forced to do something I frankly no longer believe in and don't want to devote time to.

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    Fuck the Catholic church.
    ftfy... saying that is lumping a lot of people into a category to which they don't belong.

many non-catholic churches operate on donations only, no fund raising, god will provide type basis... No $$$ required for a service for a death or any of that bullshit.

A catholic church where i grew up refused a funeral service for a former fire chief who died of mesothelioma because he didn't attend and donate regularly in the past 5 years... no shit, the guy was on his death bed.
    Matt V. 9/19/10

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    ftfy... saying that is lumping a lot of people into a category to which they don't belong.

many non-catholic churches operate on donations only, no fund raising, god will provide type basis... No $$$ required for a service for a death or any of that bullshit.

A catholic church where i grew up refused a funeral service for a former fire chief who died of mesothelioma because he didn't attend and donate regularly in the past 5 years... no shit, the guy was on his death bed.
    They’re ALL the same... try not paying your “donation” at the synagogue

I’ve always believed there is no such thing as an atheist in a fox hole but churches of any denomination are businesses first places of worship second

Quote Originally Posted by eric351w View Post
    I would feel bad saying I cant be a godparent but on the other end of it I also don't want to be forced to do something I frankly no longer believe in and don't want to devote time to.
    Be honest with them, you can be a godparent without a piece of paper if that's what they want.
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    They’re ALL the same... try not paying your “donation” at the synagogue

I’ve always believed there is no such thing as an atheist in a fox hole but churches of any denomination are businesses first places of worship second
    They're not... I can't speak for anything but what I know and have experienced in the past... But no baptist or protestant type church that I ever went to did anything but pass around a tithe plate. Sure they ask, but if you don't or cant then its NBD.... Those same places won't do bake sales, fund raiser or bingo nights either.
    Matt V. 9/19/10

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    Fuck the church.

I'm a godparent to my niece. I didn't have to go through any BS. Show up, repeat after them.

Wow that's some stupid BS right there. I became my nephews godparents a few months ago..tho protestant church..

Active member of the church when it's the child's parent's decision... oook

My Jewish brother in-law is a godparent....

How the hell???