Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Wheel Wobble

Default Front Wheel Wobble

I've noticed some steering oscillations coming off throttle between ~40 & 45 mph; barely noticeable with a light grip, far more with no hands on the bars.

I'm going to take the wheel off, check balance and run-out, and realign the forks when I install the wheel. Is there anything else I should look that could be culprit?
    Quote Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
    Pussy. It's so much better than lime.:

Bearings. Steering head and wheel.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    Bearings. Steering head and wheel.
    this. When was the last time you lubricated/checked the steering head bearings?

Also, might want to make sure you don't have a fork seal leak..

Sure sounds like steering head bearings to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Sure sounds like steering head bearings to me.
    Agreed. But wheel bearings seem to be the most overlooked maintainable item on a motorcycle imo.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10

Agreed. But wheel bearings seem to be the most overlooked maintainable item on a motorcycle imo.
    I replaced the wheel bearings late last year. The old ones seemed to spin fine, but felt notchy when I spun the race with my finger.

Head bearings don't seem sloppy, to me. When the bike is on its center stand, it turns to either side with similar force, and feels smooth in both directions. Is there another way to check that I'm missing?

Pull the front end off and inspect them. You could have a bead/roller hung up and that is causing your turbulance.

I’d also check the wheel again for free play while your there. You wouldn’t be the first to do maintenance on a perfectly ok piece only the have it break later.
    Last edited by drinkingmymilk; 07-09-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10

Mike, I'm currently dealing with the same issue. In the last with the SV it's been the tire being cupped.

The goldwing is currently having this issue I've had it on the center stand and everything seems within normal limits with the tire off the ground. I'm going to pull the wheel and repeat it/regap the forks.

The goldwing spends a lot of time straight up and down I'm thinking the front tire is cupped. It still has nubs on the outside.

Are you still doing mostly commuting?
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 9; Pixel XL Build/PPP4.180612.004) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.87 Mobile Safari/537.36

That being said if that doesn't pan out I'm going to replace my bearings and will probably be purchasing a locknut socket.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 9; Pixel XL Build/PPP4.180612.004) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.87 Mobile Safari/537.36

Pull the front end off and inspect them. You could have a bead/roller hung up and that is causing your turbulance.

I’d also check the wheel again for free play while your there. You wouldn’t be the first to do maintenance on a perfectly ok piece only the have it break later.
    But I don't wanna! And, I'm going to turbulence your face I was going to double check the wheel bearings while the wheel is off. I guess I'll start pulling the front end apart, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Mike, I'm currently dealing with the same issue. In the last with the SV it's been the tire being cupped.

The goldwing is currently having this issue I've had it on the center stand and everything seems within normal limits with the tire off the ground. I'm going to pull the wheel and repeat it/regap the forks.

The goldwing spends a lot of time straight up and down I'm thinking the front tire is cupped. It still has nubs on the outside.

Are you still doing mostly commuting?
    Mostly commuting, yes. Tire wear looks normal.