Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmer this weekend... need a bike hauled

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    We know he rode an EX500, how'd the car fare?
    The car was fine. He used it for a whole season doing the same setup to NJMP, NYST, and NHMS for TTD/LRRS.
    Team Brown - LRRS #521

Made it there and back, no problem. Thanks for the input.

A few scratches from the bikes rubbing but not the end of the world. Biggest PITA was loading the second bike... needed help.

Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.

helper airbags will go a long way.

<$100 and ~1 hour install.

Got 'em, and yes they do... but when I went to fill them Saturday I heard hissing. Soemthing must have come loose and I didn't have time to chase it down.

Why did you alternate the bike directions? I've towed two on my HF trailer facing forward with no issues. Glad it worked it for you. For my two bike setup I brought both hitches towards the ready to balance the weight a bit better. Still want positive tongue weight, but I'd say the two bike setup is about 8-12" back from the single.
    Last edited by ctbandit; 09-04-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    -Darek

Clearance. Side-by-side, the widest parts of the bike (around the engine/clip-ons) are next to one another. Reversing one means they fit better and also helps with weight distribution.

Note that I have no chocks on this rig, so no lateral support. I needed to keep the bikes inboard as much as possible to provide some angle on the straps.

Weight distribution was fine... note that the trailer is close to dead level. Didn't weigh it but the tongue had probably 75 lbs or so on it.

This was a quick&dirty haul so I didn't have time to really optimize loading. It was pretty much get the bikes on there and strap the hell out of it. I didn't get it quite right and some plastics got scratched.... no biggie. Easy to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    Clearance. Side-by-side, the widest parts of the bike (around the engine/clip-ons) are next to one another. Reversing one means they fit better and also helps with weight distribution.

Note that I have no chocks on this rig, so no lateral support. I needed to keep the bikes inboard as much as possible to provide some angle on the straps.

Weight distribution was fine... note that the trailer is close to dead level. Didn't weigh it but the tongue had probably 75 lbs or so on it.

This was a quick&dirty haul so I didn't have time to really optimize loading. It was pretty much get the bikes on there and strap the hell out of it. I didn't get it quite right and some plastics got scratched.... no biggie. Easy to deal with.
    The harbor freight chock makes one person loading a breeze. Holds the bike upright while you strap. They often get sold on here for like $20. Highly recommend it. Glad it worked it for you for the most part.
    -Darek

I have a Condor chock for when I transport one bike. Wouldn't have worked for this application for various reasons (mostly time related) so I left it off.

The condor is awesome but on the costly side. Big benefit for me is that at 5'6" I'm too short to hoist or bounce the front wheel over the pivot on most chocks (I've tried a few and all have been unworkable). The Condor's pivot can be repositioned so less upward force is needed to get the bike out, making it MUCH easier to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
    I have a Condor chock for when I transport one bike. Wouldn't have worked for this application for various reasons (mostly time related) so I left it off.

The condor is awesome but on the costly side. Big benefit for me is that at 5'6" I'm too short to hoist or bounce the front wheel over the pivot on most chocks (I've tried a few and all have been unworkable). The Condor's pivot can be repositioned so less upward force is needed to get the bike out, making it MUCH easier to deal with.
    If you want, you can borrow one of mine to try it out since I'm not using it right now.
    -Darek

The important question is, are you trading your gixxah for the street triple??