Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic coating worth it?

On my bike it made night and day difference in heat while riding....not sure what it would do for a car though
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by eric351w View Post
    My friend who has the Cobra Kit car shop gave me a company his customers have used, around $850 for 2 year package or $1,100 for 5 year. I can get you more details, including name of business, if curious just don't have them with me at work. Has a FB page too, seems to do very high end cars. Think hes based out of Glastonbury.
    As you might imagine there are quite a few exotic-vintage car shops in my area that offer this. My guess is they would be priced inline with youíre numbers. If not I might follow up and get more info from you.

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    Oh I misunderstood thought you meant ceramic coating as in a heat / rust preventative coating..

Ceramic / Nano coating... over priced if you have someone do it for you IMO. As he said 800-1000. If you have the time and enjoy washing / detailing, do it yourself. Itís very easy to apply and typically $75-150 for the bottles online. Itís all about the prep work prior. Iíve done it at the body shop to a few cars.

Munger has a mobile detailing friend that IIRC can do it. I know his prices were very reasonable too

And if you do your balls let me know how that works out, bet it will make ball sweat Iím the summer bead right off
    I most definitely do not have time or interest in doing any detailing or prep work needed to do this job myself. Iíd much rather throw money at the problem but only if it has any actual value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    he's a social liability
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
    Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja fruit View Post
    I’d much rather throw money at the problem but only if it has any actual value.
    It does.

The prep work prior is what makes the car shine. The coating protects and keeps the shine long term. For my truck (black) its awesome because it prevents water spots and also makes washing and drying a breeze.
    Last edited by MFChop; 10-17-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Maybe I’ll do it then. I think it’s worth protecting an investment. Assuming this car will go up in value over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    he's a social liability
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
    Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.

It’s a lot of hype imo. It’s not scratch proof it certainly won’t protect your car from fading because color is nothing more than pigment, it’ll fade eventually. Ceramic coating is great for engine parts, exhausts etc etc but really it’s nothing more than a longer lasting wax job. If you’re concerned with your car being worth big money in the future your best bet is to restore it to factory spec with a hugely expensive paint job on it and never drive it again. But in reality American cars don’t appreciate well. Just drive it, enjoy it and when the time comes fix it
    If My Jokes Offend You
    1. I'm Sorry
    2. It'll Never Happen Again
    3. 1&2 Are Lies
    4. You're A Pussy

Quote Originally Posted by ninja fruit View Post
    As you might imagine there are quite a few exotic-vintage car shops in my area that offer this. My guess is they would be priced inline with youíre numbers. If not I might follow up and get more info from you.

I most definitely do not have time or interest in doing any detailing or prep work needed to do this job myself. Iíd much rather throw money at the problem but only if it has any actual value.

No worries! As far as doing it yourself, I was thinking about doing it myself.....not on her car though but my commuter beater. My hesitation is the people i talked to warned me about the prep. They said you have to be super meticulous/careful. Clay bar, buff etc. first and when you apply it has to be a dust free area. Supposedly if anything that is air born and lands in the ceramic when applying its extremely difficult to get out of the paint after the fact. This could all be bs but seems most places that are reputable are doing it in a paint booth style area.

The guy my buddy recommended came by his shop to do some touch up on a car, had some scratches on it. He took a heat gun to it and the scratches were gone. Aaron, you can provide better insight on that. Does it basically just gel back over the scratch??

for 1100 bucks every 5 years, you can have a new paint job saved up for by the time it will need it 20 years down the road...
    Matt V. 9/19/10

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    for 1100 bucks every 5 years, you can have a new paint job saved up for by the time it will need it 20 years down the road...
    Iím on the same page

But for a daily driver who would want to do that (get it repainted)? or are we all really talking about weekend/toy cars which then that would make more sense

Quote Originally Posted by eric351w View Post
    But for a daily driver who would want to do that (get it repainted)? or are we all really talking about weekend/toy cars which then that would make more sense
    He think that the car will go up in value. So original paint may be a factor.