Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic coating worth it?

Correct me if im wrong since no real world experience but wouldn't a classic car like that actually be worth more with original paint in good condition? Regardless if paint faded a bit just as long as scratch free and of course body in good shape vs having a new "non factory" paint job?

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    Oh I misunderstood thought you meant ceramic coating as in a heat / rust preventative coating..

I had no idea they did it for paint. Carry on...

What's the current condition of the paint? Is it stored in a garage? A coating is going to last much longer if it's not out in the elements. Most of what you are paying for with a ceramic coating is the prep work involved, commercial level ceramic products are pretty expensive as well.

Before a detailer applies a coating they have to wash and dry the car meticulously. And in most cases clay the car, correct the paint by stages of compounding and polishing, then wipe down with IPA to remove polishing oils, and then apply the ceramic coat.

Are the quotes you're getting including claying and polishing? I'd be weary of a place that recommends claying without polishing as claying usually mars the paint noticeably.

Another option you have is protective paint film (PPF). At least PPF is more scratch and chip resistant, done right it's nearly invisible. But it's much more expensive. Have you tried Darien Detail? I had them do some odor removal for me. Kind of pricey but the owner is very knowledgeable and does a lot of high end cars.
    Last edited by Sean724; 10-18-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean724 View Post
    I had them do some odor removal for me.
    Dead hookers in trunk get smelly in the summer heat.

Quote Originally Posted by db79 View Post
    Dead hookers in trunk get smelly in the summer heat.
    Unfortunately it was cigar smoke in a used car I bought.

I wish I knew what my father used on the chevelle, paint job is over 40yrs old and still looks like glass and it was a macco paint job too lol. I remember the bottle vividly but not the label for what ever reason it was illegal / discontinued back in the 70s or so. Proabably causes cancer or some sh!t

Quote Originally Posted by ninja fruit View Post
    Maybe I’ll do it then. I think it’s worth protecting an investment. Assuming this car will go up in value over time.
    If it’s an “investment” then stop driving it and put it to oe spec as Aaron said

I forget the man who said it but as he was quoted. “Not driving a Ferrari so it can hold its value is like not f*cking your wife so the next guy can enjoy her more”

Drive the hell outta the car enjoy it and build it how you want. F the value. Ceramic it for ease of maintainance
    Last edited by MFChop; 10-18-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric351w View Post
    But for a daily driver who would want to do that (get it repainted)? or are we all really talking about weekend/toy cars which then that would make more sense
    if its a daily, its gonna get fucked up... which means the paint, coated or not, isn't gonna be any good. The pigment will fade, rock chips, scratches, etc...

So short of keeping the thing off the road unless its for a jaunt to a car show and back, its not gonna win any paint awards for long.

IMO, its for people who are anal about how their car looks at all times. The benefit isn't having to wash and wax the thing repeatedly over time, or anything to do with preventing scratches and the like. I'd do it myself, but spending 850-1100 bucks on it, every 2-5 years, to me is absurd.
    Matt V. 9/19/10

My old dealer worked with this company in west haven: Automobila auto salon. and they coat the shit out of stuff. as well as the clear bras. if i had the money to spend maybe i would.

It it were me Ian for your bird, I would bring it somewhere to have a paint correction (if the paint is still good, otherwise, have it repainted then clear bra the entire fucking car. then you can enjoy the fuck out it and never worry.
    2nd owner of theHawhandcordone

WHOA

#dirtyprince

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    if its a daily, its gonna get fucked up... which means the paint, coated or not, isn't gonna be any good. The pigment will fade, rock chips, scratches, etc...

So short of keeping the thing off the road unless its for a jaunt to a car show and back, its not gonna win any paint awards for long.

IMO, its for people who are anal about how their car looks at all times. The benefit isn't having to wash and wax the thing repeatedly over time, or anything to do with preventing scratches and the like. I'd do it myself, but spending 850-1100 bucks on it, every 2-5 years, to me is absurd.
    I agree , a daily driver is going to get beat up eventually no matter what. For the people who do care that much about the appearance of their car, I like that ceramic coatings make washing a car a ton easier and faster. You can wash less frequently, faster, and less stuff gets embedded in the paint. Remember, anytime you are claying, you are probably marring the paint and it will need a polish. Sure waxing can do that to a degree but how many people do you know that wax their daily driver every month? A good wax will barely last 2-3 months on a daily. So I can see where getting paying for a ceramic coating is saving you time on some washes, length of washes, and waxing. (Everyone I know with a coating waxes over it, though lmao)

Ceramic coating companies claim UV protection for the paint and slight scratch and chip protection. I don't believe that though and have more confidence in Clear Bra type products with longer life (8-10 years I think?) and proven sun protection.

I have paint corrected and applied pro-sumer ceramic coatings before. All that said, I have not coated or filmed my current daily. It's just so much work and time, don't think I want to hire someone either.

I'd like to hear what Bruce, the professional, thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean724 View Post
    What's the current condition of the paint? Is it stored in a garage? A coating is going to last much longer if it's not out in the elements. Most of what you are paying for with a ceramic coating is the prep work involved, commercial level ceramic products are pretty expensive as well.

Before a detailer applies a coating they have to wash and dry the car meticulously. And in most cases clay the car, correct the paint by stages of compounding and polishing, then wipe down with IPA to remove polishing oils, and then apply the ceramic coat.

Are the quotes you're getting including claying and polishing? I'd be weary of a place that recommends claying without polishing as claying usually mars the paint noticeably.

Another option you have is protective paint film (PPF). At least PPF is more scratch and chip resistant, done right it's nearly invisible. But it's much more expensive. Have you tried Darien Detail? I had them do some odor removal for me. Kind of pricey but the owner is very knowledgeable and does a lot of high end cars.
    The quotes I got included all the prep work (clay, buff/polish, cleaned inside and out, everything ceramic coated i.e. rims, glass and body.) Although the wifes car is a DD its her baby. Shes been driving the same civic for 13 years and finally got her dream car so to her and me lol its worth her piece of mind to get the ceramic especially with our winters. Maybe in 5 years she wont care as much anymore and can opt not to get it done again. Also, was looking of additionally getting the film put on her hood, Benz's hoods are so freakin long now