Thread: Riders Discount shutting it's doors

Unhappy Riders Discount shutting it's doors

So I just read over on the WERA forum that Riders Discount is ceasing operations. Kinda sucks as they always had great pricing on the RST suits for me. They have some closeout items on the website, but pickings are slim. Sad to see these guys go.

The whole industry is dying. Sad to see them go but more and more will continue. Youth today doesn’t want a car, let alone motorcycles.

TJ was great. I’d bought 2 pairs of boots and countless odds and ends from them over the years. But even I haven’t bought from them in at least 3 years.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10

Everything other than screens is doomed
    USA doom sealed Dec. 2, 1970

"Print is dead" is a similar broad-brush sentiment, quite a number of decades old, and it hasn't happened yet.

"The 600 class is doomed" is something we've been hearing every single year for what, 15-plus years? And yet we've got new bikes coming out as recently as this year. They're not ground-up new but they don't have to be, because what's out there works very well.

Look at the track picture here in the Northeast. In the past six years we've had four (!) new road courses open: NYST in 2013, followed by Thompson, Palmer and now Tamworth. That's astonishing.

Industry doomed? Not so much. Things will change, sure, but I've been around long enough to see a number of these doom-and-gloom predictions come and go. Motorcycling is far from doomed. It will inevitably change quite a bit but we'll be on two wheels for a hell of a long time.

It's a damned shame to see a good, enthusiast-oriented business like RD go but it's not about the decline of the motorcycle industry... it's about losing in a competitive retail marketplace. Others are out there doing a better job of meeting the demand (e.g. Revzilla, Amazon). Simple as that.
    Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.

Few things, Those tracks aren’t just for motorcycles. There are many who believe they’ve over built the amount of them. And last but not least, it’s not new people to the sport. Sure the track may see some new people but with the exception of some kids brought in through their parents almost every track rider starts on the street. If the number of street rider declines, the number of track riders will eventually follow.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10

If you go to a Jday (off-road) motorcycle event in New England these days, it’s likely to be so packed that there just isn’t enough daylight to accommodate everyone who wants to race, and that includes plenty of young people racing. No one can deny that road racing is off-the-scale fun and excitement, but the difference in attendance between Jday and LRRS or track days has a lot to do with 50 bucks a day for a jday vs 300 for paved track hijinks...

All added together, off road racing (or committed riding) costs plenty, too, but the track fees for pavement reach the “no freaking way” level for a lot of middle class people and families who can scrape enough money together to make it work for off road.

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    Few things, Those tracks arenít just for motorcycles. There are many who believe theyíve over built the amount of them. And last but not least, itís not new people to the sport. Sure the track may see some new people but with the exception of some kids brought in through their parents almost every track rider starts on the street. If the number of street rider declines, the number of track riders will eventually follow.
    All fair points but Rich's post was "everything other than screens is doomed." That would include cars on the track.

Absolutely agree that as the number of street riders declines so will participation at the track. That's the inevitable shift in the balance over time that happens to any activity you care to name... nothing is ever static. But motorcycling completely doomed? I doubt that.

Lately I've been noticing a number if (IMHO ill-advised) attempts to appeal to the gamer demographic. Yesterday I watched the Formula E season opener. New this year is a gimmicky "attack mode" where the car must be driven over embedded sensors placed in a specific, off-the-racing-line spot on the track to unlock extra power, which lasts for four minutes. Straight out of video games... but having said that, it did produce some decent racing.

Then there are the e-sports driver development competitions, where the best gamers get to bump up to real cars. IIRC they did that at LeMans last year. These are kids who did not come up through the traditional ranks. Their primary experience is entirely digital.

So bottom line... I don't think that screen obsession will kill real-life participation. I do think that it will influence how that participation unfolds. We're always looking at the past and when we see that the traditional entry points for the sport are drying up, we conclude that the whole sport is doomed.
    Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.